Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Large School Fight Leads to Juvenile Charges for Six

Pocono, PA

Six students at Pocono Mountain Charter School are being charged with assault and disorderly conduct after a conflict between two groups of girls evolved into a larger melee.  One group accused another of snitching about something, and it was on. 

A female teacher who attempted to break up the fight suffered minor injuries.  No arrests were made at the time, but after viewing video and interviewing witnesses, juvenile charges were filed on sic students. 

Analysis

School staff should be instructed in the proper methods for intervening in a fight, after a sound policy on such interventions has been developed.  Physically intervening in a fight between two females will often prove frustrating for the adults, as they will go all in. 

My first time breaking up a fight between two girls as a teacher did not go as planned.  I was in the Army Reserves at the time, and was in the best shape of my life.  I was an Infantry Drill Sergeant, and I was going to take charge of the situation and save the day.

Wrong!

I stepped in between the two female combatants and instantly became the focus of both.  I was hit, kicked and scratched from all directions, and I won't even mention the choice verbiage that was thrown my way!  I grabbed one of the girls by the arm and yelled, "Knock it off!" and was bitten on the arm for my efforts.

I had a plan, but it was a poor one.  Have a better plan in place to intervene when students go at each other.  Some schools have plans to NOT intervene.  If that is the case for your school, prepare for the inevitable questions from parents and possibly the media as to why you didn't intervene, especially if injury occurs.

Staying Alive, or unscathed, means having a good plan that you've practiced!

No comments:

Post a Comment