Tuesday, February 17, 2015

A Sheepdog Lenten Promise

Today is Mardi Gras, a last bit of hedonism before the sacrifices of Lent.  I have been pondering what I might do to better myself this Lenten season.  Wait, what does this have to do with school safety, you ask?

I will get to that, but bear with me for a moment.  I am doing the usual Lenten practices: Paring my 2,200 calorie diet to 2,000; cutting out non-dietary sweets, and sticking with my new-found daily exercise regimen.  I hope to lose 10 pounds by the end of Lent.  How ambitious is that?

But something else came to me today.  I want people to see what a School Safety Officer does on a daily basis.  It is my hope that by doing so, I can create a greater appreciation for what Sheepdogs in schools do for children and school staff on a daily basis.  As a side effect, I hope it helps me get better at what I do.

There are others who do more than I do, and others who do less.  However, I humbly offer myself as an example of a middle-of-the-road school administrator whose personal passion happens to be the safety of others.  A Sheepdog.

If you saw the movie American Sniper, you heard what a Sheepdog is.  Nearly word-for-word, Chris Kyle's father in the movie used LTC Dave Grossman's explanation.  The simple matrix is like this:

Sheep - Everyday people who just want to live their lives without being bothered.  Some think this has a negative connotation, LTC Grossman doesn't, and took great pains to state so in his original essay On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs.

Wolves - These are people who seek to hurt others for their own gain, or for the sheer pleasure of it.  There is a negative connotation to this, by design.

Sheepdogs - Like the wolf with their propensity to do violence, not for its own sake, but in the defense of others.  Sheep are oftennervous around the Sheepdog because of this propensity, but certainly love having the Sheepdog near when the Wolf is around!

More on this, and other thoughts, as Lent progresses.  So, everyday I hope to have you join me on my journey through Lent, and hopefully you will learn a lot in the process!  

Non en meus vigilo! (Not on my watch!)

No comments:

Post a Comment